Catman - Drums
Hi, I'm Jelle, KISStory's Catman.
From my early days I've always been surrounded by music. A lot of members of my family are musicians so it was only natural for me to start playing an instrument. Thanks to my dad and my older cousin (both of whom are pretty good percussionists) I got fascinated by drums and percussion. But in the beginning it wasn't always music. I’m a member of the scouting movement at my hometown, and my first childhood friends are also members and are still there.
I've been playing judo ever since I was a little kid. I've taken part in many tournaments without really winning anything major. Although I have to say I've floored the Belgian champion from my weight class once in a single throw. That was a pretty cool win.
One Friday night I went with my dad to the local drumming band in Lendelede, where I just looked astonishingly at what went around. From that moment on I knew I was going to quit judo and dedicate myself to playing drums. That moment (almost 10 years ago), was one of the best choices I've ever made.
My teacher was (and still is) Stefaan Raes. He taught me everything about how to play drums and when I had any questions my parents always helped me along the way.
I've also been taking jazz courses at the local music academy. I then started my first rock band and after 2 years I also started a jazzband. This, and playing classical music with the harmony band at Lendelede and practising with the local drumming band made me a better drummer.
At the time of my first rock band I started getting into glam and KISS. The years went by and I also went to a lot of Kisstory gigs and got more into Kiss. And now, I'm part of the band.
I have to say I'm pretty lucky. My parents, family and friends have always been very supportive. Without these people I wouldn't be who I am today. Whether it be playing music with the jazz band, the rock band or starting with KISStory they've never held me back, as long as everything at school went okay.
So, this is what I've been up to so far. All the rest is history (or should we say) KISStory.
See you at the show.
- Name: Jelle Vandewalle
- Year of birth: 1990
- How many bands did you play in before KISStory? 2 ; (more if I count all the classical music groups)
- How many times have you seen KISS live? Never, I’m sad to say. I was born too late.
- What is your favorite KISS song? Forever, Watchin’ you, Unholy, Domino, Rock 'n' roll all nite.
- What is your favorite KISS album? Alive 3
- What other bands are your favorites? Guns 'n' Roses, Alice Cooper, AC/DC, Korn, Iron Maiden, Bon Jovi, Drowning Pool, Velvet Revolver, Lordi, Hardcore Superstar, Mötley Crüe, Papa Roach...
- What hobbies do you have? Scouting, music (rock as well as punk, metal, jazz and even classical music), and soccer team Club Bruges
- Are you a collector? What do you collect? Not really, maybe music scores (but certainly not intentional)
- What is your coolest KISS/non KISS item you have? A guitar pick in the shape of a heart emblazoned with the logo of KISStory
- What is your funniest rock and roll story? Taking part in a rock rally with a P.A. system devoid of a compressor so the front cabinets were completely shot. Meeting Bill Aucoin.
- What is your dream? Becoming as good as Eric Singer, but meeting and jamming with him would be truly cool.
- What do you want to do in the future? Finish high school and future studies, having a family, keeping healthy, doing lots of gigs and just generally being happy.